Remembering Basil

“Pets are precious gifts on loan. But their memory lasts forever.”

We received some very very sad news this week… one of the beagles from the JHB hunts, Basil, was run over by a car.

We are so sad to have lost our friend.

Jonathan… we are thinking of you, and praying you find peace soon. You will always be part of our family!!

This post is dedicated to Basil. If you have a memory you would like to share, or a few words, please leave them in the comments section below the post.

Everybody knew Basil! You could spot him a mile away. There was no mistaking this boy. His size, his presence, the way he strutted around.

He just missed the 2009 Top Ten, and finished the season in 11th place, with 2951 points!

Jonathan and Basil had a very special connection… their time together was so short, but they loved each other. Just a gentle call from Jonathan, and Basil would come and find him and follow him around. It was something special.

Basil, we will miss you so much. Your dad will miss you even more. Your beagle friends will miss you… but they will send you a special “aahhhroooooooooooo” at the next hunt. You will watch over us from Beagle Heaven where you can sniff and hunt and play and eat and sleep to your hearts content. Look after the other beagles up there for us.

We love you and will always remember you… forever.

I think Martin had great words when he described what a cool team Jonathan and Basil made:

“Worst news ever! Jono and Basil made the coolest team, I cant believe that something this tragic could happen to such a nice guy and to our dear buddy BASIL! He stood out from the crowd and he had this legendary presence that will be sorely missed at the hunt! Jono, bud-we are thinking of you…”

May you rest in peace, Basil. x

I found this poem online, and modified a bit for our beagle site…

BEAGLE ANGELS…

For those Beagle Babies in the sky
Who have left our loving arms
Don’t stop to ask or wonder why
Just know they’re free from harm

No pain or fright confronts them now
They’ve left that all behind
They’re embracing joy and freedom
And still live in our minds

Eyes are bright and seeing clear
Velvet skin is healed
Legs aren’t stiff, and ears can hear
Our love they still can feel

Embrace their memory, hold it tight
Wipe away your tears
The Beagle joy that filled your life
Will last throughout the years

Think of them with happy thoughts
Say a thankful prayer
All those happy Beagle angels
Still know that we care

19 Responses to “ Remembering Basil ”

1. Tanya says:

Jono, we are so so sad to hear about Basil.
    We will miss him, and remember him forever.
    x

2. Carmel and Gavin says:

Jono, our thoughts are with you during this very difficult time. Basil was a special boy and we are very glad to have met and known him. He will be missed terribly, but will always be remembered for the amazing beagle that he was. May good memories and friends carry you through this sad time. Rest in Peace Basil. Love Gavin, Carmel, Snoopy, Penny and Koda

3. timmo says:

one word buddy šŸ™ you know Im here for you!

4. Poppadom & Roti says:

We will miss you buddy, even though we grumbled with each other we still loved you

5. Jonathan, Michelle, Toby, Bella Warren says:

We were so sad to hear this news. We have only been to 4 hunts and knew Big Basil well. We have lost a great friend and family member and he will be sorely missed by everyone, both human and Beagle. This must be a really tough time for you Jono and our thoughts are with you. Love the Warrens

6. Humphrey says:

From all of us, Baxter, Barnaby, Bobby, Ben, Billy & Humphrey. Very sad news. All our thoughts are with you. We will all miss him.

7. Petervs says:

Jono He will be missed so much, im very sorry

8. Bruce, Wendy, Matthew, Aimee & Nelson says:

So sorry to hear your news Jono. May the very best of memories stay with you during this hard time.

9. Karen, Robert and Lucy says:

We are all so sorry to hear this sad sad news. We will always remember Basil strutting his stuff. Our thoughts are with you

10. It is never easy to loose a dog & especially one so young who had his life ahead of him & was definitely making waves, that all will remember & miss. Basil, I know a few friends that will be up in doggy heaven to welcome you, take care of yourself Jono. Love from Jane Rebel & Pippin.

11. Thanks everyone for the kind words of comfort and encouragement. He certainly showed me the true meaning of a man’s best friend. He would turn a bad day into a good day by just resting his head on my knee. It so hard to accept that he is no longer around. He will never sleep on (in) my bed again…for the poll Tanya šŸ™‚
    I gave Basil the best life a beagle could have asked for – chasing Eland, Baboons, Civets, cows, horses, ducks and the lesser spotted Erasmia sardines! We would go trout fishing, geocaching, Mpumalanga panorama route, 4x4ing with me in the landy and our daily walking at either Delta park or Emmarentia dam. He will sure have some great stories to tell up in heaven.

Thanks Tanya for putting this together. The poem was very comforting indeed.
    Thanks again to everyone for the kind thoughts.
    Take good care.

Jono

12. Marisca, Misty and Tessa says:

O Jonathan!
    I do not have words to express my sorrow, I am all choked up. I will light a candle for that special Hound of yours and the Beagle Hunts will not be the same for me without Basil. From the first time I saw him – the miniature Saint Bernard – I fell in love with him. His cockiness and his strutting will stay with me forever. Basil, Marisca, Misty and Tessa will always remember you and we will see you in every Beagle (and Saint Bernard).

13. Michele says:

Hey Johnathan
    It’s so bad to lose a doggie friend. You two had such good times together. I will never forget the sight of Basil sitting in the front seat of your Landrover side by side with you.
    Stay strong. Michele, Jamie and Jemma.

14. Shaw, Chelsea & Marmalade says:

Hey Jono, sorry about your loss. These are thing things we never want to hear. When we loose a pet, we loose a little piece of our hearts too, and its gone forever. But find comfort in that he was clearly deeply loved and had the best life a Beagle could have wanted. I lost Matthew just before the season started. He was my best friend and I still miss him terribly. I know he was waiting for Basil at the Pearly Gates, ready for a hunt! Big hug, Shaw, Chelsea and Marmalade.

15. Dana says:

Jono so very very sad to hear this terrible news. Am completely choked up. I know you will so miss that swagger – Verity Park and Emmarentia wont be the same again. Sending lots of love, Dana and Charlie

16. Tijl says:

This is such tragic news – RIP Basil.

Without Jono and Basil we would have never found out about these hunts… we’ll miss him!

Lots of strenght from Tijl, Jo, Charlie and Chelsea

17. Anette says:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss I pray for you and hope you’ll feel better soon.

18. ROELF says:

Our sincere condolences. We will miss him along with Mathew. Roelf,Rita and Maya.

19. Jill says:

Eventhough only Shaw & Jane know me, (I’m one of the very few original hunt people who Vicky Harris keeps in touch with, my thoughts are with you Jono – I lost 2 of my girls this year, so I understand how you feel.